|Season 1, Episode 1|
|First Aired||September 24, 2014|
|Crew • Gallery • Transcript|
Pilot is the series premiere of Black-ish. The episode premiered on September 24, 2014.
Advertising exec Dre looks forward to a promotion that would make him the first African American senior vice president at his firm in the premiere of this family sitcom, but he worries that there is a price to pay for his success when his son Andre Jr. announces that for his 13th birthday he's converting to Judaism in order to have a Bar Mitzvah like all his friends.
- Anthony Anderson as Dre Johnson
- Tracee Ellis Ross as Rainbow Johnson
- Yara Shahidi as Zoey Johnson
- Marcus Scribner as Andre Johnson, Jr.
- Miles Brown as Jack Johnson
- Marsai Martin as Diane Johnson
- As of September 12, 2014, the episode is free to download on iTunes.
- It is no longer available to download for free.
- The alternate title of this episode is called "Keepin' It Real!".
- Laurence Fishburne portrays Anthony Anderson's father. In reality Laurence Fishburne is only 9 years older than Anthony Anderson.
- Laurence Fishburne (Pops) says Junior (Marcus Scribner) would be better off watching Roots. Marcus Scribner would later go on to play Alex Haley in its remake from 2016.
|“||If I'm not black, then would someone please tell my hair and my ass?||”|
- Jesus Walks by Kanye West
- Mr. Big Stuff by Jean Knight
- It's Bigger Than Hip Hop by Dead Prez featuring Tahir & People's Army
- Ngayaya by Balikoowa Centurio
- Yeah! by Usher