|Season 1, Episode 3|
|First Aired||October 8, 2014|
|Crew • Gallery • Transcript|
Dre is on a mission to get Andre Jr. to become friends with more black kids after learning his son is clueless about "the nod." Meanwhile, Rainbow wants to inspire little Diane to become a doctor, and so she takes her to work at the hospital on what ends up being a really bad day.
- Anthony Anderson as Dre Johnson
- Tracee Ellis Ross as Rainbow Johnson
- Yara Shahidi as Zoey Johnson
- Marcus Scribner as Andre Johnson, Jr.
- Miles Brown as Jack Johnson
- Marsai Martin as Diane Johnson
- Christopher Griffin as Eustace Telphy
- David L. King as Mr. Boyer
- Leigh Bush as Mrs. Boyer
- Michael C. Nelson as Nurse Larry
- Ana Cristina as Jogging Girl
- Rachael Grace as Receptionist
- Jenna Osterlund as Employee
- This episode marks Charlie's first appearance which who later appears in more episodes.
- In the black community, the nod is a type of acknowledgement for other black people, that says "Hello", "Hi", or "I see you".